Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bleeding mushrooms


These pretty little mushrooms, called Mycena haematopus, bleed deep red when the stem is cut, especially at the base. Although there are other bleeding Mycenas, this is the only one that fruits on wood, making it easy to identify. This piece of wood was barely able to hold it's shape and had no bark left on it. It was, in fact, so well-decayed that I can't say what kind of wood it was. There were Garry oak (Quercus garryana), Pacific madrone (Arubutus menziesii) and Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) in the area. In the four years or so that I've been paying attention to fungi, I've usually seen these mushrooms singly or, perhaps, with one or two others, so I felt as though I was attending a delightful little soiree while sketching this comparatively large group! If you look closely, you can see several new buttons poking out of the wood on the left.

For more about bleeding Mycena, visit these sites:

Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month, June 2002
MushroomExpert
Wikipedia
Mykoweb: California Fungi

3 comments:

  1. Terrific drawing, Debbie. I've never seen or heard of a bleeding mushroom before. And I thought it was safe to be a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mushroom Debbie...yoy're inspiring me to go for them too...some have such twisted shapes and then can be unsupectedly delicious. We also have our truffle festival in two weeks...I hope to get around to that too with my sketchbook...or at least the camera!
    Ronelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'mglad to see you and your mushroom are back! This looks like a little one I often see. I'll have to check to see mine bleeds too, or is just similiar.

    ReplyDelete