Thursday, October 7, 2010

Still alive


Earlier this summer I more or less stumbled upon a pair of Skilton's skinks (Plestiodon skiltonianus) living under a rock that I like to sit on at Howarth park. I visited every day for a few days. They seemed curious, if not a bit put out,  about Chloe and I, and would lurk about for a while before heading off to hunt up some breakfast. Then I suddenly stopped seeing them. The ground around their rock had been dug into and I feared that they were no longer of this world. A week ago, though, I stopped by just to sit a while and, lo and behold, one of the skinks glided out from under the rock and sat a spell with us before heading out for some hunting. I've been back a few times since and there's been no sign of skinks.

2 comments:

  1. It was two months ago that you introduced these lovely ittle creatures -- thanks for the reassuring update. I love that you've used the word 'glided' -- that's what your drawings say too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to wonder about. Maybe the boulder is just one of several hideouts.

    I especially like our skink in color.

    ReplyDelete