Monday, September 13, 2010

Knock, knock


One afternoon, from my living room, I heard a loud pecking noise, louder than the sound of Scrub jays cleaning our gutters or the Oak titmouse beating open a sunflower seed on the platform outside the kitchen window. Curious, I went followed the pounding toward the kitchen. There wasn't anything on the feeding platform. Looking out another window, toward the side of the house I spotted a Nuttall's woodpecker (Picoides nuttallii) drilling a hole into the wooden fence attached to our house.Once he saw me, he moved about the fence then a tree above it, and finally left the yard. Although I often see these woodpeckers foraging in the canopy of the valley oak in our backyard, I haven't seen them in our front yard since early spring.

4 comments:

  1. These sketches are great! Every so often we have a woodpecker decide that our soffits are a treasure trove for grubs - it drills the stucco relentlessly. Like yours, I usually see them in our large oak tree (live oak, Quercus virginiana). These are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool woodpecker! ... and great sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I have read your blog it reminded me that I have not spotted or heard one since last spring. I didn't even think about them migrating. Now I am going to have to do some more research. Your blog always does that to me. .....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, I don't think they migrate. I've noticed that most of the birds seem to "disappear" during nesting season. During the summer I've heard these woodpeckers working (quietly) up in our oak tree, but they just aren't as conspicuous as they seem to become in the winter and spring.

    ReplyDelete