Saturday, June 5, 2010

Young ground squirrels

Recently, Chloe and I went to check on the California ground squirrel colony that lives at Camp WaTam, a day camp at Howarth Park in Santa Rosa. Camp starts this week and we won't be able to visit them on weekdays for the rest of the summer. This group of squirrels has taken up residence under two giant portable containers that were placed in the park several years ago. Today, I saw a youngster sitting outside the container and stopped to see if I could capture her youthful demeanor in a quick sketch. She stared at me while I stared right back and sketched. After a short time, two curious siblings poked their heads out of the holes leading to their home and they joined the staring party. Soon, mom came to see what was going on. She kept a watchful eye on her youngsters who kept a watchful eye on me until they grew bored and wandered back under the container.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got in there when you did! That pick-of-the-little squirrel won't be spending much time on centre stage ofter the kids arrive. Beautifully done, as always.

    ReplyDelete