Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I won a prize!!!

This weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find that Elizabeth Smith, the creator of one of my favorite blogs, A Nature Art Journal in Southwest Florida, has given Just Around the Corner the Beautiful Blogger Award. I'm honored she chose me. Now it's my turn to choose four of my favorite blogs for the award and to tell you ten things about me. I'm going to enjoy choosing the next group of award recipients and grit my teeth while telling ten random things about myself. Ugh!

First, the fun part!

Ken Januski's art, birds, nature is a wonderful exploration of all three and endlessly interesting, not just for Ken's marvelous images of birds but also because he's fearlessly transparent about his process without ever being cringeworthy, an amazing feat!

Clive Christy's Art and the Aesthete is a celebration of printmaking and printmakers, many of whom have I would never had known about if it weren't for this blog. Clive's thoughtful articles and wonderful examples of each artist's works make this one of my favorite destinations when I'm in front of my computer.

At Jana's Journal Jana Bouc explores the Bay Area of California with sketchbook in hand and her descriptions of what she finds are witty and engaging.

Finally, Steve Wilson both blogs and lives at Blue Jay Barrens in southern Ohio. He writes about and photographs his back yard. Okay, it's a pretty big back yard, but I love that all of his blog is focused on this one piece of property.

Those ten not so random facts about me:

1) When I can't draw I feel as though a part of me is missing.
2) I've been drawing pictures since I could hold a pencil.
3) My parents encouraged me to pursue art and I began taking art lessons at the Cleveland Museum of Art when I was about 10 years old.
4) I studied corporate design in college.
5) Then dropped out and learned to be a hairdresser.
6) I began drawing pictures for newspapers.
7) Which led to a career as an editorial illustrator and a move from New York state to California.
8) And a brief interlude as a comic creator.
9) I didn't figure out that I could combine my love of drawing and love of the outdoors until I was over 50.
10) I like stories better than lists.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Debbie. Thank you for the award. I'm glad you are finding Blue Jay Barrens to be interesting.

    I enjoy your drawings. When I was in school, one of my professors looked at the drawings in my field journal and commented that he doubted I could even make the stick man recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    Thanks also for my award. Those are very kind words. I hope the site will live up to them for whomever heads that way.

    I've just recently discovered your site but am enjoying it very much, AND need to spend time reading posts I've missed. I do really enjoy your brave attempt to draw birds from life. And you've been very successful.

    Drawing birds from life is difficult but there is also a great thrill to doing so, and you learn so much as it forces you to look harder. Don't know if I ever mentioned the book 'Drawing Birds' by John Busby. I think that it the small bible of drawing birds from life. I say small because it's a relatively small book but full of great art and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Steve! You wield the camera quite well. Isn't it great that there are so many avenues of expression to choose from?

    Ken, thanks for mentioning John Busby's book. Everything I've learned, so far, about drawing birds has been from reading it. Over and over again. It's a real treasure. Thanks for your kind words about my attempts to draw birds. I still mostly see only what I do wrong so it's nice to hear that there's more to what I'm doing than the mistakes! As you may have gathered, I find your sketches very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie, congratulations to your award. Your blog writing is very special indeed! Sooner or later you will be on the cover of national geographic at least!

    ReplyDelete