This weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find that Elizabeth Smith, the creator of one of my favorite blogs, A Nature Art Journal in Southwest Florida, has given Just Around the Corner the Beautiful Blogger Award. I'm honored she chose me. Now it's my turn to choose four of my favorite blogs for the award and to tell you ten things about me. I'm going to enjoy choosing the next group of award recipients and grit my teeth while telling ten random things about myself. Ugh!
First, the fun part!
Ken Januski's art, birds, nature is a wonderful exploration of all three and endlessly interesting, not just for Ken's marvelous images of birds but also because he's fearlessly transparent about his process without ever being cringeworthy, an amazing feat!
Clive Christy's Art and the Aesthete is a celebration of printmaking and printmakers, many of whom have I would never had known about if it weren't for this blog. Clive's thoughtful articles and wonderful examples of each artist's works make this one of my favorite destinations when I'm in front of my computer.
At Jana's Journal Jana Bouc explores the Bay Area of California with sketchbook in hand and her descriptions of what she finds are witty and engaging.
Finally, Steve Wilson both blogs and lives at Blue Jay Barrens in southern Ohio. He writes about and photographs his back yard. Okay, it's a pretty big back yard, but I love that all of his blog is focused on this one piece of property.
Those ten not so random facts about me:
1) When I can't draw I feel as though a part of me is missing.
2) I've been drawing pictures since I could hold a pencil.
3) My parents encouraged me to pursue art and I began taking art lessons at the Cleveland Museum of Art when I was about 10 years old.
4) I studied corporate design in college.
5) Then dropped out and learned to be a hairdresser.
6) I began drawing pictures for newspapers.
7) Which led to a career as an editorial illustrator and a move from New York state to California.
8) And a brief interlude as a comic creator.
9) I didn't figure out that I could combine my love of drawing and love of the outdoors until I was over 50.
10) I like stories better than lists.