Sunday, May 2, 2010

Death, life, sketching

The Bird Rescue Center called to tell us that the house finch that was attacked by a scrub jay, in our front yard, sustained a broken wing and had to be put to sleep. Last night I saw another pair of house finches courting on the feeder in the early evening. I don't know if the female was the same one, but the finch flock seems more relaxed than they were right after the attack.

Only a few days later I found two nests. In the morning I noticed two Western bluebirds (Sialia mexicana) nesting in a Garry oak in Spring Lake today. I did some quick sketches of the nest site and the male, because he was visible, which I colored later, and plan to go back for some more extended sessions.

Later that same day Greg and I saw a California Towhee (Pipilo crissalis) carrying nest material into a shrub outside of my studio. When she left we looked for and found a nest. It's been a few days and, if the towhees are nesting in the shrub, they are very stealthy. I suspect that they've abandoned this nest and gone elsewhere. Oh! I just looked and an egg has appeared since last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment