Saturday, April 10, 2010

Crayons and a hummingbird


I've been trying... and trying... and trying to get the hang of sketching with watercolor but it's caused nothing but heartache so far. I'm taking a break right now and playing with other media in the field. Today, with time to play at Howarth Park, I took along a set of Lyra aquacolor crayons I bought a few years ago. After a pleasant walk on a beautiful spring day, I stopped in a meadow that many different birds frequent and sat as inconspicuously as I could under a manzanita, waiting to see who or what would come by. I'd forgotten that the tree I was near was a favorite perch for this male Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna) and was pleasantly reminded when he arrived and stuck around for the next hour or so. The crayons were great! I was able to get strong color (sometimes a bit too strong!) quickly and with very little effort. I used a fairly dry brush to wet the colors and blend them and had a blast! I'm looking forward to more! I'll get out the watercolor set again in a while. Right now I'm going to keep having some fun with crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment