Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spring fungi

Lately, I've noticed a new crop of earth tongues fruiting in the woods at Howarth Park. They're quite a bit larger than those I saw in February and their caps are magnificently distorted. They seem to be very happy Trichoglossum hirsutum. Their velvety stems are covered with fine hairs that you can only see under magnification---well, maybe you could see them without, but I can't. They're deep, deep black in color and I get a thrill every time I see one. Or two. They're usually the last of the fungi before spring arrives in earnest. I'm going to miss seeing mushrooms and earth tongues, but wildflowers are blooming and trees are leafing out. Ground squirrels are sitting on rocks with their faces pointed at the sun. I've heard and seen several hummingbirds swoop straight out of the sky with a sharp popping sound, while wooing their potential mates. The grass is tall and growing taller each day. There are so many ticks waiting in that tall grass that Chloe and I are sticking more to the trails. It's really spring! I find myself happy to wear fewer layers of clothing when I go out walking. Today my fingers were warm while I drew and the sun beat down warm enough to keep Chloe comfortable, for a change, while I drew the last fungi of the season. I think I could get used to this, at least for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Such sweet parting! Goodby to your mushrooms, yet spring has a lot to offer too.

    You've got me looking for earth tongues when I'm out and about. I can't decide if I just don't see them, or if I live too far north. I found reference to their habitat in my books, but not there range. Maybe someday I'll get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. The warm air and bright colors are everywhere. Ivy found it to hot to lay in the sun and had to move to shade to wait for my drawing today. I think I saw some of these today but I didn't have my camera. Next time if there is a next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful evocative writing, Debbie. I felt like leaning into your post to feel the sun on my face.

    I'll reluctantly say goodbye to your fungi because I suspect your wildflowers and birds are going to enchant us anyway.

    Lovely drawing - these sketches always remind me of etchings.

    ReplyDelete