Sunday, March 28, 2010

A slice of bird life

A storm was on it's way and the feeder gang was more diverse than usual. Maybe they were loading up, just in case? The geese at the top of the page were from Howarth Park earlier in the day. The rest appeared at my feeder between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m. The Hairy woodpecker (Picoides villosus)...oops! Make that Nuttall's woodpecker (Picoides nuttallii) was in constant motion, cruising along the top of our fence and pausing here and there to peck small holes in the wood. The chestnut chickadee came when everyone else had gone and was a stealth feeder like the oak titmouse. It would furtively fly to the feeder, grab a seed and furtively take off, presumably to eat the seed. In a few moments it would return and do it all over again. The Chickadee was a stealth feeder, landing on the platform feeder, looking about furtively, grabbing a seed and flying off to eat it, then returning to repeat the whole act again.

6 comments:

  1. I do love that departing goose. I'm not sure what that little yellow bird is, but it is beautiful. Very envious of the entertaining hour watching your feeder, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robyn! That yellow bird is an American goldfinch (Spinus tristis). It was great hour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these sketches along with all the comments -- stealth feeder! Your post makes me want to spend an hour sketching at my feeder. I normally watch my feeder from my perch on an excercise cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie – wonderful sketches! Your ability to capture these fast moving lovelies is amazing. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a wide variety of birds around you and your sketches of them all are great...I can't even choose a favorite, becasue allt heir gestures are so great, I love that goos though...he looks so tranquil! Nice work.
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I really never paid much attention to the birds at the feeder before and have been delighted to find a wonderful little world outside the window. They're fun to get to know!

    ReplyDelete