Friday, March 5, 2010

Looking for Helvella in all the wrong places

Yet another member of the Helvella family, this one is called Helvella acetabulum. I've been on the lookout for these at Howarth Park for a few weeks, having completely forgotten that they fruit in every corner, it seems, at Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery. There was a breeze blowing, causing puffs of spores to fly up, up and away as I sketched. Normally the "ribs" are lighter than the "cup" but I caught this one with the sun shining into it.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you love what you are doing. I can see the glow of the back lighting. Beautiful!!!!!
    Hugs
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. good work...
    love your illustrations...
    congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another unique and perfect drawing. I've discovered that a habitat conducive to one fungus will often support others -- something that escaped my notice until you got us all looking in the corners and under stuff. Haven't found anything quite as magical as your drawings yet...

    ReplyDelete