Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hanging out with the birds

I've noticed that Mourning Doves (Zenaida macroura) and White-crowned sparrows (Zonotrichia leucophrys) are extremely tolerant of humans nearby, much more so than the very nervous House finches (Carpodacus mexicanus). It had rained all day and I wanted to be outside. Several birds were lounging in the front yard so I sat on the porch with Chloe and my sketchbook. We all congregated peaceably for about forty-five minutes. House finches flurried about the feeder, eyeing Chloe and I nervously, but the sparrows and doves just rested and watched me watching them.

3 comments:

  1. One doesn't think of birds ever lounging... but there they are! Beautifully drawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these birds. You have captured their true nature. You and Chloe are doing great at bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew we were in for a treat when you started sketching your birds! Inspiring and gorgeous, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete