Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tiny goblets

While admiring some earth tongues I noticed a small twig covered with these charming cup fungi from the family Sarcosomateaceae which consists of an amazing variety of cup-shaped fungi that aren't often seen because of their ability to blend into their surroundings and small size. The last time we had a good, wet winter I found a few and had been hoping to see some again this year, what with all the rain we've been getting. These are much smaller than those I saw before. the largest is 9mm across! I've seen some references to these as fairy goblets.

3 comments:

  1. These little fungi are one of my favorites. So delicate. They brought back a pleasing memory for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tecnhic with so many textures *.* beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Glad I could jog a good memory, Elva!

    ReplyDelete