Friday, February 5, 2010

More earth tongues

My mission, since finding the Geoglossums on February 2, has been to find earth tongues. I first found earth tongues on a trail at Howarth Park several years ago and have seen them in the same area each year since. It never occurred to me to look for them in other places, although I did stumble upon a group along another trail a few years back. Since I began to actively seek them out I've discovered that the earth has many tongues and they're sticking out everywhere. The only thing that makes them seem rare is that they're very hard to find, even if you're looking for them. Yesterday my eyes were feeling the strain after spending two hours peering at the ground watching for tiny black protrusions. These fungi blend into their surroundings very well. Once I became more proficient at spotting them I found them everywhere. Most that I've found are in small groups or solitary, unlike the first group that I discovered, which fruits prolifically along the trail for several yards. While on my mission I had the great good fortune to find a small patch of an earth tongue I've seen pictures of but never seen in real life. While admiring a patch of Trichoglossum hirsutum, I spotted a differently shaped green protrusion nearby. I inched in for a closer look and was delighted to discover several Microglossum viride, in two shades of green that made them blend into their surroundings so well that, when I looked away for a moment, I had difficulty finding them again. I made a quick sketch to capture the color and, after determining that there were plenty left behind, I brought one home with me to paint and went back today to do a complete sketch.

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like this in my life, but of course I was never looking for one either. Your lovely drawings and enthusiasm have definitely got me interested! I'd never seen a blewit before either, but saw one today -- a single really big mauvey one -- too close to the ground to see the colour of the gills, and I didn't want to pick it, as it was the only one. Tomorrow, if I find it again, I will try to get a photo by putting the camera right in the dirt. And I'll be looking for earth tongues too.

    You'd think I was desperate for something to draw, which is not the case at all. There are hundreds of waterfowl in the harbour right now, and dafodills, some plums and rhododendrens are in full bloom. It's an odd time to have discovered an interest in fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene, congratulations on seeing your first blewit! A compact mirror is great for seeing the gills when you don't want to pick the mushroom.

    Our fungi are here for such a short time each year that it's an easy choice for me, most of the time. I hope you find the time to draw everything you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is first time i am in your blog and i'm impressed ! your drawings are just unique and amazing, contragtulations and please post more !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie, love the sketches and the informative posts. My area is full of mushrooms now and I am now able to identify a few because of you. Thank you for your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the two earth tongues. The color is beautiful and they are poised like slim dancers. NICE!

    ReplyDelete