Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Helvellas in the cemetery: Part 2

Helvella lacunosa, a relative of Helvella crispa, which I wrote about at the end of January, has been popping up like a weed this year. Actually, it seems to pop up like a weed most every year at Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery. That would probably be because of the old coast live oaks (Quercus agrifolia) scattered about the property. They come in an interesting variety of colors, everything from midnight black to nearly white. Mykoweb lists it as being most common in our area under pine, but in the places I frequent, oak is where it's at. Live oak. I mostly don't see pine on my walks though and this year, when I have, I've seen some Helvella lacunosa. These are sometimes called Black Elfin Saddle, but I pity the poor elf who uses this lumpy bumpy fungus for a saddle. Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. The Elfin Saddles you wrote about in January were infinitely moe suitable for riding.

    ReplyDelete