Monday, January 4, 2010

Fairy Fingers

I have a special fondness for this fungus, commonly called Fairy fingers and scientifically called Clavaria vermicularis. Because of it's ghostly white color it's an easy fungus to spot, so it was one of the first fungi that I became familiar with. I tried, for years, to photograph it but never could get the exposure right because the bright white fungus against the dark leaf litter always caused confusion in my digital camera and the picture would either be way too dark or the white fungus would be completely blown out. It was a perfect candidate for a black and white sketch.

2 comments:

  1. My first time looking at your blog- I find your nature sketches wonderful and your descriptions of each fungus and plant fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob! Thanks for coming by. I'm glad you're enjoying the sketches and words.

    ReplyDelete