Sunday, December 6, 2009

Two for one


If I'd found this Cortinarius sp. earlier in it's short lifespan, the gills and, probably, the cap would have been lavender like the upper stalk. Alas, it's glory days are over and, yet, it's still very attractive. Many Cortinarius are notoriously hard to identify to species. This one is no exception and I'm no expert. Do you know it's name? I'd love to hear from you if you do.

This brightly colored mushroom, Hygrocybe persistens, is one of my very favorites, partly because it's the one that got me to notice that there were mushrooms everywhere in the forest during the fall and winter. I still can't imagine how it was that I never saw these, in all of my years of walking in the woods. They're fairly common and have some relatives that are also brightly colored and easily found...if you're looking. These mushrooms are viscid, or slimy. If it's rainy and wet, pulling one out of the earth can be a real challenge! By the way, the Cortinarius would have been viscid, too, when it first emerged. Debris stuck to the cap is usually a clue, even if the slime is dried up.

1 comment:

  1. I am having so much fun learning about fungi and seeing your beautiful art work. It has rained here, finally, and I can't wait to see if there will be mushrooms on my walks now. I will be carrying my camera just in case.

    ReplyDelete