Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fallen warbler


Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery was full of mushrooms today. I collected several to take home and sketch in my nice warm studio and was on my way out, trying not to look too carefully, so as not to find any more mushrooms that I HAD to take home, when I came upon a beautiful but dead Townsend's Warbler (Dendroica townsendi). I couldn't pass up an opportunity to sketch this lovely creature so when I got home I put all of the mushrooms in the refrigerator and set to work on the bird. Birds are much harder to draw than mushrooms! I managed to get one okay sketch after several that weren't even close to okay and decided to put the warbler in the freezer with the Junco from earlier this fall so that I can spend some time with both later, when I hope to be a bit more comfortable with watercolor.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I looked at things here! What a great study; a great reminder of the temporal.
    I once put a dead fruit bat in my freezer just to look at it now and then.

    ReplyDelete