Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another little mushroom


This plain little mushroom caught my eye because it was pink and unfamiliar to me. I found it at the edge of a meadow with several others of it's kind. My backpack was already crammed with mushrooms in (unused) dog waste bags but I couldn't stop myself. Do you suppose there's a group for mushroom-collecting addicts?

Some clitocybes have interesting fragrances, so I was disappointed to find that this one just smelled like mushrooms at the grocery store. I did find out that it's not a good eating mushroom. According to Introduction to Mushrooms: "it produces a violent poisoning due to the presence of muscarine. In addition to vomiting and diarrhea and sharp abdominal pains, the victim will experience profuse sweating, uncontrolled salivation and tear formation. Their pupils will shrink so that the victim thinks they are going blind."

Well, gosh, doesn't that sound like fun?

References:
Mykoweb
Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment