Sunday, October 11, 2009

I love surprises!


I went to Howarth Park in the late afternoon, an unusual time for me. Chloe (the serious looking dog below), my walking buddy went with me, as always. It was a cold, gray day which meant that the trails were empty, allowing me to make believe that it was my own private park. My favorite time to be in the park is winter, partly because there are fewer people around. I like to check up on places I've been before, which is easy in such a smallpark. I went to the tree I drew last Sunday and found a lovely Laetiporus gilbertsonii squishing itself out of a hole in the tree, a black oak (Quercus kelloggii). These usually fruit in late summer or early fall but this year the few that did dried right up in the unseasonable warm weather, so this was a welcome surprise for me. Not so much for Chloe who isn't as big a fan of mushroom season as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment