Saturday, October 17, 2009

A bit obsessed

I didn't much like the painting I did Thursday of this earthstar. Today I had more time and better light so I tried again and am a bit happier with the result.

Although it's still humid here the earthstar had closed up quite a bit when I fetched it to draw. The outer covering of an earthstar expands when moisture is present and contracts when it's dry. In the past I've been able to spritz other earthstars I've found during dry times and getting them to open up as though it was raining. This one was mostly uncooperative. It opened up a tiny bit, briefly. It's the first Astraeus pteridis I've had to play with so that might be why. Or it might be because it's younger and hasn't reached full maturity yet.

1 comment:

  1. I love this one.
    That's interesting how it opens up. You're like a mad scientist.
    I never heard of those brushes you mentioned ealier. Sounds like a good idea, but if they don't work you're probably better off taking your own water in a canteen or something!

    ReplyDelete