Friday, September 18, 2009

Oregon white oak


Until today I've been unsure about which valley oaks I see at Howarth Park in Santa Rosa CA are Quercus lobata (Valley oak) or Q. garryana (Oregon white or Garry oak). I became rather earnest about the whole thing last year but was thwarted by a severe shortage of acorns. This year the trees are covered with them, so I was thrilled to come across one with acorns that were distinctively those of Q. garryana. I'll have to try to find a Q. lobata to draw. I can't say that I'm better able to identify the trees just by looking, but at least I know that one tree is, indeed, Q. garryana. If I study it some more, it might make it easier for me to distinguish the two.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog very much.I'm waiting for your new post.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete