Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bees


Today I walked at Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery. There are two trees at this cemetery that are home to two large colonies of bees. I don't know what kind of bees because I don't like to get too close! All summer long, I'd see them flying fast and furious to and from their respective trees. Today it was pretty cold and I wondered what happens to the bees in the winter. I was daydreaming and forgot about the first tree but snapped myself out of my reverie for the second and was surprised to find a large number of bees clinging to the outside of the tree their hive was (is?) in. It's a blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus). A few of them would fly half-heartedly about the tree and then come back to the group hug.

4 comments:

  1. hi debbie, i'm happy to have found your blog, here from illustration friday. i used to think nothing of walking by a tree with a hive. remembering the old line, "they won't bother you if you don't bother them." but my daughter and i were attacked recently after only walking by a tree that was a-buzzin' so, beeeee careful! really enjoying your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. I'm sorry you got attacked! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this has to do with whether or not they are swarming or creating a hive. Dangerous or not a tree fulla bees is sort of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to keep some distance, but I see people running and walking right by them without ever noticing and without getting attacked. Of course, they're usually all inside the tree and buzzing in and out.

    ReplyDelete