Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Red Horse Chestnut


This is the seed from Red Horse Chestnut (Aesculus x carnea). It was on the sidewalk in an area where neither tree was evident, although I know of one of these trees about a mile away. I had a hard time deciding between horse chestnut and buckeye when I first found it, then discovered that Red Horse Chestnut is a cross between Common Horse Chestnut (A. hippocastanum) and Red Buckeye (A. pavia). Which explained everything! I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had started to open the day after I found it so I drew it each day. The seed inside was half ivory-colored at first, becoming more brown each day.

2 comments:

  1. This is really nice. I love the time-lapse aspect of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Philip! I love sequential art in all it's incarnations!

    ReplyDelete